Senior Software Engineer
Sittercity, a Bright Horizons company, is a technology platform working to reimagine the child care industry. Finding, hiring and managing high-quality, trustworthy and enriching child care has never been simple, for parents or caregivers. We want to change that. At Sittercity, you can imagine and create solutions that will revolutionize a multi-billion industry and bring relief to parents and care providers alike, all while having a lot of fun! Boost your career as we launch into our next phase of growth and help build a platform that changes the way child care works.
As a Senior Software Engineer at Sittercity, you will bring your knowledge of modern web technologies to architect and build a fast, responsive and intuitive web and mobile experience for our users. Our stack includes a Rails monolith and a newer client web app that uses Vue and GraphQL. You’ll work with teammates to execute feature code, refactor existing functionality, write unit and integration tests, and strengthen our platform. We value diversity of opinion, openness to feedback, and continuous learning. We strive to produce quality software, and you’ll join us in our ongoing quest to improve our tools and skills.
While we’re looking to bring on a multitude of engineers across all of our cross-discipline teams, or “squads”, this exciting opportunity is available on two of our squads focused on Marketplace and Growth initiatives.
- Our Marketplace Squad works to create a trustworthy and robust marketplace for all of our users. We build experiences that delight parents and sitters by connecting families with the right caregiving solutions to meet their needs.
- Our Growth Squad aims to increase value for new and existing users while growing revenue for Sittercity. The team is helping parents reduce cognitive load in finding enriching child care that promotes joy in learning while also empowering sitters to take control of their strengths, schedules, and wages.
Additionally, you will work closely with the Platform and Squads to improve and extend our platform capabilities.
- Collaborate with product managers, designers and various stakeholders across the business to conceptualize and build new features
- Brainstorm with fellow team members to estimate the feasibility and implementation strategies of deliverables
- Work within Ruby on Rails and Go environments to maintain and extend our current applications
- Design and develop API contracts to be consumed by stakeholder clients
- Architect and build robust software using modern web technologies
- Mentor other engineers and help with code reviews
- Participate in our on-call schedule that all engineers participate in
- Expertise in Ruby on Rails
- 4-6 years as a Software Engineer
- Have a positive attitude and a desire to learn and teach
- Comfortable working with monolithic codebases while working to refactor and improve the platform
- Great communication and project management skills. We value well rounded engineers.
- Familiar with Google Cloud or AWS
- Experience with modern front end frameworks (e.g. React, Vue, etc.)
Recognized as a Chicago Innovation Award winner and one of the best places to work by Crain’s and Built In Chicago, we offer an inclusive, innovative, and fun environment that rewards passionate and curious individuals. You will receive the following benefits:
- Support for flexible and remote working environments
- Generous paid time off policy, including sick and holiday
- Industry leading parental leave
- Health, dental, vision, disability, life, and 401(k) matching
- Sittercity membership, back up child/adult/elder care, and child care center discounts
- Tuition assistance, college coach, and enhanced family support
- Company events, social outings, and volunteer opportunities
Sittercity is committed to hiring a diverse workforce. We consider all applicants for employment without regard to race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, age, national origin, disability, veteran status, marital or familial status, childbirth (including pregnancy) or related medical conditions including but not limited to lactation, or any other basis as prohibited by federal, state or local law. Sittercity participates in E-Verify and background checks all employees.
Sittercity is thrilled to be recognized on @Hired’s 2021 List of Top Employers Winning Tech Talent! It’s been a tumultuous year but our commitment to prioritizing equity, efficiency, and transparency in the hiring process allowed us to continue to attract and hire amazing talent.